Who’s Who at 2017 IEDC FED Forum?
IEDC’s FED Forum, the only annual conference focused exclusively on federal economic development programs and policies, will be held April 9-11 at the Washington Court Hotel in Washington, DC. The Honorable Wilbur Ross, U.S. Secretary of Commerce, and top-level executives from the Congressional Budget Office, Department of Defense, SelectUSA and others will keynote plenary sessions throughout the conference.
Keynote speakers include:
• The Honorable Wilbur L. Ross, Jr., Secretary of Commerce, United States Department of Commerce, Washington, DC - Wilbur L. Ross, Jr. was sworn in by Vice President Mike Pence as 39th Secretary of Commerce on February 28, 2017. Secretary Ross will be the principal voice of business in the Trump Administration, ensuring U.S. entrepreneurs and businesses have the tools they need to create jobs and economic opportunity.
• Robert D. Atkinson, President, The Information Technology and Innovation Foundation (ITIF), Washington, DC - As founder and president of the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation (ITIF), Robert D. Atkinson leads a prolific team of policy analysts and fellows that is successfully shaping the debate and setting the agenda on a host of critical issues at the intersection of technological innovation and public policy. He is an internationally recognized scholar and a widely published author.
• Emilia Istrate, Ph.D., Managing Director, Counties Futures Lab, National Association of Counties (NACo), Washington, DC - As NACo Counties Future Lab managing director, Emilia Istrate leads policy analysis, analytics and knowledge sharing efforts, as well as thought leadership to support and advance the interests of county governments. She is part of NACo’s executive leadership team.
• John Lettieri, Co-Founder, Economic Innovation Group, Washington, DC - John Lettieri is co-founder of the Economic Innovation Group (EIG) and serves as its Senior Director for Policy and Strategy. He leads EIG’s policy development, economic research, and legislative affairs efforts. John has worked in both the public and private sectors with a diverse set of policymakers, entrepreneurs, investors, and global business leaders.
• Andrew T. Levine, President & Chief Creative Officer, Development Counsellors International, New York, NY - As the son of Ted Levine, founder of Development Counsellors International, Andy was introduced to the world of economic development and travel marketing at birth. Since joining the firm in 1991, Andy has helped launch the company into a new era, advancing the quality of client work performed, growing the number of staff and adding to the range of client services offered.
• Patrick J. O'Brien, Director, Office of Economic Adjustment, United States Department of Defense, Arlington, VA
• Peggy Philbin, Acting Executive Director, SelectUSA, Washington, DC - Peggy Philbin is the Acting Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer of SelectUSA, an innovative federal initiative to promote and facilitate high-impact investment in the United States. The program provides resources, services and high-level advocacy to economic development organizations working to attract and win investment, and helps companies of all sizes at every stage of the decision making process.
• Dr. Phillip A. Singerman, Associate Director for Innovation and Industry Services, Office of the Director, National Institute of Standards and Technology, U.S. Department of Commerce, Gaithersburg, MD - Phillip Singerman serves as Associate Director for Innovation and Industry Services at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). In this capacity he is responsible for the NIST suite of external partnership programs, including the Hollings Manufacturing Extension Partnership, the Baldrige Performance Excellence Program, NIST technology transfer and small business innovation research awards, economic analysis, and technology innovation.
• Jeffrey Werling Ph.D., Assistant Director, Office of the Director, Macroeconomics Division, Congressional Budget Office, Washington, DC - Jeffrey F. Werling is the Assistant Director for Macroeconomic Analysis at the Congressional Budget Office. The division generates CBO’s economic projections, which underlie the agency’s budget projections, and analyzes the macroeconomic effect of fiscal policy. Jeff joined CBO in 2016.
Speakers are expected to address current policy issues facing the U.S. economy, trends in federal economic development and ways to move forward in case of cuts to federal spending. Full speaker biographies can be found at www.iedcevents.org/FEDForum/Speakers.